Wideford Hill
Kirkwall, Orkney Islands OS Map
Chambered Cairn Canmore

Looking west on the western slope of Wideford Hill is a chambered tomb dug into the hillside.

The tomb was excavated in 1849 by G.Petrie. The tomb was intact, but had been filled from a hole in the roof with rubble including animal bones (horse, cow, sheep, deer and pig).

The outer cairn has a diameter of about 42 feet. The inner chamber is about five feet wide and ten feet long at floor level, but much narrower at head height. There are side chambers to the north, east and south, and a long low entrance passage to the west. (This was the original entrance - present access to the tomb is through a hatch in the roof).

The tomb site is on a slope that was artificially flattened before construction.

Images ©1995,2000 Martin McCarthy, Theasis Photography

Nearby Sites

1km Rennibister Earth House Souterrain
4km Cuween Hill Chambered Cairn
4km St Magnus Cathedral Cathedral
9km Maeshowe Chambered Cairn
10km Barnhouse Neolithic Settlement Neolithic Settlement
10km Orphir Round Church Church
10km Stones of Stenness Stone Circle
10km Watch Stone Standing Stone
11km Ring of Brodgar Stone Circle
12km Ring of Bookan Chambered Cairn; Henge
12km Unstan Chambered Cairn Chambered Cairn
14km Gurness Broch
19km Skara Brae Neolithic Village Neolithic Settlement
(NB: All distances are as-the-crow-flies. Lochs, mountains and beautiful winding roads will make it further. Sometimes much further.)