Also known as Torphins Stone Circle
This tiny but attractive stone circle stands in a clearing at the edge of a wood where the level ground falls away to a burn at the west. Four stones make a rectangle, with a fifth stone standing just outside and a number of slabs (which may be from a cist) lie at the north end. Each of the stones is around three feet tall and the rectangle they form measures about eight and a half by seven and a half feet.
The centre of the circle was excavated in 1905 - only a piece of flint and some charcoal were found.
1/8 A view from the southeast. The outlier is in the foreground and the four stones of the circle beyond.
2/8 A view from the southwest.
3/8 A sandstone slab can be seen between the northern pair of stones.
4/8 Looking from the east. (In case you're wondering, the white circle around the stones appears to be recently scattered human ashes)
5/8 Looking from the north.
6/8 Looking from the south (north is indicated by the arrow).
7/8 Looking from the west.
8/8 Looking from the south.