Torwood
Falkirk, Stirling OS Map
Broch Canmore
Also known as Tappoch

Torwood Broch stands on the top of Tappoch hill just a few miles to the northwest of Falkirk within the Tor Wood forest. Most Iron Age brochs were built in the far northeast of Scotland, but there are a small number of lowland brochs.

Although the ruins of the walls are now just a few courses high, the broch could have originally stood 10 metres (30 feet) tall or more. The walls are up to 7 metres thick with a substantial stone stairway leading up through the interior of the wall.

The broch was excavated in 1864 and finds included querns for grinding grain into flour, some pottery, and some boulders with cup and ring marks carved into them.

Images ©2016 Martin McCarthy, Theasis Photography

Nearby Sites

3km Castleton Farm Cup and Ring Carvings
11km Airthrey Castle Stone Standing Stone
12km University of Stirling Standing Stone
17km Doune Standing Stones
17km Sherrifmuir Stone Row
17km Waterhead Standing Stones
18km Linlithgow Palace Palace
19km Tuilyies Megalith Standing Stone
19km Doune Castle Castle
19km Gala Braes Standing Stones
20km Cairnpapple Hill Henge; Chambered Cairn
(NB: All distances are as-the-crow-flies. Lochs, mountains and beautiful winding roads will make it further. Sometimes much further.)