Finstown, Orkney Islands
Also known as Fairy Knowe
Looking east from the eastern slope of Cuween Hill is a chambered tomb, sometimes known as the Fairy Knowe.
When the tomb was excavated in 1901, by M.M.Charleson, seven human skulls and twenty-four dog skulls were found within the main chamber and the side chambers. There has been some speculation that the dog was a tribal totem (as with red deer at Holm of Papa Westray North and eagles at Isbister).
1/4 The main chamber, looking north.
2/4 The main chamber, looking south. The entrance is at the lower far end of the left wall; the spaces in the facing and right walls lead into subsidiary chanbers.
3/4 Runes carved in Cuween cairn. These are probably fairly recent graffitti rather than genuine Viking runes.
4/4 Enhanced image of the runes.