Glassel

Banchory, Aberdeenshire
Stone Circle
Also known as Torphins Stone Circle

This tiny but attractive stone circle stands in a clearing at the edge of a wood where the level ground falls away to a burn at the west. Four stones make a rectangle, with a fifth stone standing just outside and a number of slabs (which may be from a cist) lie at the north end. Each of the stones is around three feet tall and the rectangle they form measures about eight and a half by seven and a half feet.

The centre of the circle was excavated in 1905 - only a piece of flint and some charcoal were found.


Share

Nearby Sites:

Midmar Kirk

Stone Circle (Recumbent).

8km away.

View site

Sunhoney

Stone Circle (Recumbent).

9km away.

View site