Cuween Hill

Finstown, Orkney Islands
Chambered Cairn
Also known as Fairy Knowe

Looking east from the eastern slope of Cuween Hill is a chambered tomb, sometimes known as the Fairy Knowe.

When the tomb was excavated in 1901, by M.M.Charleson, seven human skulls and twenty-four dog skulls were found within the main chamber and the side chambers. There has been some speculation that the dog was a tribal totem (as with red deer at Holm of Papa Westray North and eagles at Isbister).


Share

Nearby Sites:

Rennibister Earth House

Souterrain.

3km away.

View site

Wideford Hill

Chambered Cairn.

4km away.

View site

Maeshowe

Chambered Cairn.

4km away.

View site

Barnhouse Neolithic Settlement

Neolithic Settlement.

5km away.

View site

Stones of Stenness

Stone Circle.

5km away.

View site

Watch Stone

Standing Stone.

5km away.

View site

Ring of Brodgar

Stone Circle.

6km away.

View site

Unstan Chambered Cairn

Chambered Cairn.

8km away.

View site

Ring of Bookan

Chambered Cairn; Henge.

8km away.

View site

St Magnus Cathedral

Cathedral.

8km away.

View site

Orphir Round Church

Church.

8km away.

View site